Getting to Know Fact
The Federation of American Consumers and Travelers (FACT) is a consumer organization that serves to provide you security and savings.
As a member of FACT, you are entitled to more than 20 different benefits that include coverage, savings, and opportunities.
Our benefits include Accidental Death and Dismemberment, In-Hospital Stay, and Medi-Vac coverage. FACT also sponsors a Disaster Aid and Small Business Recovery program. Our savings benefits are numerous... we offer discounts on car rentals, hotels, retail, and much more. In addition, we offer Classroom & Community Grants, which are awarded quarterly, and FACT is very proud of our growing Scholarship program, also awarded quarterly.
Because of our 30 + years of experience as an organization, we are able to provide you with the best benefits package for $48/year. We are always seeking opportunities to provide new benefits for our members.
Learn more about how a FACT membership can benefit you by visiting our Benefits page.
FACT was formed under the not-for-profit corporation laws of the District of Columbia. It has a governing board of directors, comprised of four persons. These board members are elected annually by a vote of FACT members. Among other duties, these directors must:
- Agree to serve without compensation.
- Engage in no activities which represent a conflict with FACT's best interests.
- Have been a dues-paying member of FACT for at least two years prior to being nominated.
- Not be related or connected in any way to any other director, officer or employee of FACT.
- Be a person of good character.
- Submit to and abide by a screening process whereby FACT can determine that a nominee has the qualifications to make important business decisions for a complex corporation.
These criteria were adopted by the corporation in order to
(a) assure the continuation of FACT's selfless intents and purposes,
(b) maintain a high level of professionalism at the director level, and
(c) prevent any special-interest groups or self-serving individuals from assuming control of FACT for their own gain.
Reporting directly to the board of directors are its officers (also four in number) and a managing director, all of whom operate on a volunteer basis. Day-to-day administrative, management and marketing responsibilities are entirely 'outsourced' and handled on a contract basis by companies that specialize in their respective fields.
Beliefs & Commitment
Serving our members requires honesty and efficiency. Just as important, we believe every person is entitled to courtesy, consideration, respect, and accuracy of information. To that extent:
- FACT is prevented by its charter and by-laws from making a profit.
- FACT only offers benefits that we believe to be of substantial interest and use to members. We never accept payments, commissions, or “kick-backs” from any benefit provider.
- FACT has no hidden or self-serving agenda. It is not aligned with or controlled by any political party, special-interest group, business, union or industry.
When you call the FACT office, the telephone will not be answered by a machine but by a person. Someone will promptly, politely and with genuine concern respond to any question, request or comment you may have. You can access our contact information here.